Thursday, April 2, 2009

News on the dairy front

I haven't posted about this before, because for quite a while it was a maybe/maybe not sort of thing, but today I can confirm that we are officially building a dairy. That's right a proper one with a pit and everything, after milking flat (on the ground) for seven months we (mum and me) are very much looking forward to it, I asked the sheep to share their thoughts-they seemed mostly impartial although Millie did get as close as she possibly could and rubbed her nose on me (sounds cute huh except she looks like a 2 year old with a bad cold.......ick) but I'm not sure if that is good or bad in sheep language-time will tell. I also thought I'd better mention that my latest sheepy acquisitions arrived safe and sound-I have named my new black HsT (handy abbreviation-saves a lot of typing!) ewe lamb Noir, sorry no pic yet she always seems to be behind something :) A fair few ewes have been breed these last 2 weeks (10 or so) and I have discovered that they are all in love with Vladimir-they hang the fence tail wagging and eye making, and you guessed it, Frank is their chosen ram of choice (by me!), Frank is lovely and quiet and lets me change his raddle without having to catch him-he just stands there for me-I want more ewes like Frank! So the girls will just have to deal with it. The ewes will be scanned next week to see if anyone is in lamb to Amun, so fingers crossed, I'll post results when I get them.
Nessa

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Wow, Nessa, I saw that you are a new follower to my blog so I came over to see your blog and am learning all sorts of fascinating things. I've never seen milking stands and machines for sheep (although it makes sense since I know there ARE sheep dairies). I've never heard of Awasis, so will have to go look that breed up. Welcome to Boulderneigh, too; how fun to have another "blogpal" in Australia!

Nessa said...

I'm afraid I've been a little lax updating my blog......this year I plan on doing at least one post a month! I found it difficult to find out info about sheep dairies so I'm hoping my blog will help others hoping to start and also be interesting for all the other sheep addicts out there :) Your sheep are just lovely BTW I wish we had them in Australia.